28. Shao Q, O’Flanagan S, Lam T, Roy P, Pelaz F, Burbach B, Azarin SM, Shimizu S, and JC Bischof. “Engineering T cell responses to cancer antigens by choice of focal therapeutic conditions.” Int J Hyperth. In Press.
27. Lee HR, Leslie F, and SM Azarin. "A facile in vitro platform to study cancer cell dormancy under hypoxic microenvironments using CoCl2." J Biol Eng. 12:12.
26. Lee CAA*, Seo HS*, Armien A, Bates FS, Tolar J, and SM Azarin. “Modeling and rescue of defective blood-brain barrier function of induced brain microvascular endothelial cells from childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy patients.” Fluids Barriers CNS. 15:9. *Equal contributions
25. Aguado BA, Hartfield RM, Bushnell GG, Decker JT, Azarin SM, Nanavati D, Schipma MJ, Rao SS, Oakes RS, Zhang Y, Jeruss JS, and LD Shea. "Biomaterial scaffolds as pre-metastatic niche mimics systematically alter the primary tumor and tumor microenvironment." Adv Healthcare Mater. In Press.
24. Pelaez F*, Manuchehrabadi N*, Roy P, Natesan H, Wang Y, Racila E, Silbaugh AM, Fong H, Zeng K, Bischof JC, and SM Azarin. "Biomaterial scaffolds for non-invasive focal hyperthermia as a potential tool to ablate metastatic cancer cells." Biomaterials. 166:27-37. *Equal contributions
23. Li R, Yu G, Azarin SM, and A Hubel. "Freezing responses in DMSO-based cryopreservation of human iPS cells: aggregates vs. single cells." Tissue Eng Part C. In Press.
22. Preciado J, Reategui E, Azarin SM, Lou E, and A Aksan. "Immobilization platform to select and induce quiescence in dormancy-capable cancer cells." Technology. 05:129-139.
21. Spicer G, Azarin SM, Yi J, Young S, Ellis R, Bauer G, Shea LD, and V Backman. "Detection of extracellular matrix modification in cancer models with inverse spectroscopic optical coherence tomography." Phys Med Biol. 61:6892-6904.
20. Rao SS, Bushnell GG, Azarin SM, Spicer G, Aguado BA, Stoehr JR, Jiang EJ, Backman V, Jeruss JS, and LD Shea. "Enhanced survival with implantable scaffolds that capture metastatic breast cancer cells in vivo." Cancer Res. 76:5209-18.
19. Le TS, McCann M, Azarin SM, and WS Hu. "An introduction to mammalian cell culture." Chem Eng Prog. 112:34-40. 2016.
18. Aguado BA, Caffe JR, Nanavati D, Rao SS, Bushnell GG, Azarin SM, and LD Shea. "Extracellular matrix mediators of metastatic cell colonization characterized using scaffold mimics of the pre-metastatic niche." Acta Biomater. 13:13-24. 2016.
17. Aguado BA, Wu JJ, Azarin SM, Nanavati D, Rao SS, Bushnell GG, Medicherla CB, and LD Shea. "Secretome identification of immune cell factors mediating metastatic cell homing." Sci Rep. 5:17566. 2015.
16. Azarin SM, Yi J, Gower RM, Aguado BA, Sullivan ME, Goodman AG, Jiang EJ, Rao SS, Ren Y, Tucker SL, Backman V, Jeruss JS, and LD Shea. "In vivo capture and label free detection of early metastatic cells." Nat Commun. 6:8094. 2015.
15. Yi J, Radosevich AJ, Stypula-Cyrus Y, Mutyal NN, Azarin SM, Horcher E, Goldberg MJ, Bianchi LK, Bajaj S, Roy KH, and V Backman. “Spatially-resolved optical and ultrastructural properties in the field effect of pancreatic and colorectal cancer observed by inverse spectroscopic optical coherence tomography.” J Biomed Opt. 19(3):36013. 2014.
14. Lippmann ES, Al-Ahmad A, Azarin SM, Palecek SP, and EV Shusta. “A retinoic acid-enhanced, multicellular human blood-brain barrier model derived from stem cell sources.” Sci Rep. 4:4160. 2014.
13.Gower RM, Boehler RM, Azarin SM, Ricci CF, Leonard JN, and LD Shea. “Modulation of leukocyte infiltration and phenotype in microporous tissue engineering scaffolds via vector induced IL-10 expression.” Biomaterials. 35(6):2024-31, 2014.
12. Lian, X, Zhang J, Azarin SM, Zhu K, Hazeltine LB, Bao X, Hsiao C, Kamp TJ, and SP Palecek. “Directed cardiomyocyte differentiation from human pluripotent stem cells by modulating Wnt/β-catenin signaling under fully defined conditions.” Nat Protoc. 8(1):162-75. 2013.
11. Lippmann ES*, Azarin SM*, Kay JE, Nessler RA, Wilson HK, Palecek SP, and Shusta EV. “Derivation of blood-brain barrier endothelial cells from human pluripotent stem cells.” Nat Biotechnol.30(8):783-91. 2012. *Equal contributions
10. Lian X, Hsiao C, Wilson G, Zhu K, Hazeltine LB, Azarin SM, Raval KK, Zhang J, Kamp TJ, and Palecek SP. “Robust cardiomyocyte differentiation from human pluripotent stem cells via temporal modulation ofcanonical Wnt signaling.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 109(27):E1848-57. 2012.
9. Azarin SM, Larson EA, Almodovar JM, de Pablo JJ, and Palecek SP. “Effects of 3-D microwell culture on growth kinetics and metabolism of human embryonic stem cells.” Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 59(2):88-96. 2012.
8. Azarin SM, Lian X, Larson EA, Mielke HM, de Pablo JJ, and Palecek SP. “Modulation of Wnt/β-catenin signaling in human embryonic stem cells using a 3-D microwell array.” Biomaterials. 33(7):2041-9. 2012.
7. Broderick AH, Azarin SM, Buck ME, Palecek SP, and Lynn DM. “Fabrication and selective functionalization of amine-reactive polymer multilayers on topographically patterned microwell cell culture arrays.” Biomacromolecules. 12(6):1998-2007. 2011.
6. Azarin SM and Palecek SP. “Matrix revolutions: a trinity of defined substrates for long-term expansion of human ESCs.” Cell Stem Cell. 7(1):7-9. 2010.
5. Azarin SM, and Palecek SP. “Development of scalable culture systems for human embryonic stem cells.” Biochem Eng J. 48(3):378-84. 2010.
4. Mohr JC, Zhang J, Azarin SM, Soerens AG, de Pablo JJ, Thomson JA, Lyons GE, Palecek SP, and Kamp TJ. “The microwell control of embryoid body size in order to regulate cardiac differentiation of human embryonic stem cells.” Biomaterials. 31(7):1885-93. 2010.
3. Metallo CM, Azarin SM, Moses LE, Ji L, de Pablo JJ, and Palecek SP. “Human embryonic stem cell-derived keratinocytes exhibit an epidermal transcription program and undergo epithelial morphogenesis in engineered tissue constructs.” Tissue Eng Part A. 16(1):213-23. 2010.
2. Metallo CM, Azarin SM, Ji L, de Pablo JJ, and Palecek SP. “Engineering tissue from human embryonic stem cells.” J Cell Mol Med. 12(3):709-29. 2008.
1. Wood KC, Azarin SM, Arap W, Pasqualini R, Langer R, and Hammond PT. “Tumor-targeted gene delivery using molecularly engineered hybrid polymers functionalized with a tumor-homing peptide.” Bioconjug Chem. 19(2):403-5. 2008.